What is carbon monoxide?

Carbon monoxide (CO) is an invisible, odorless and tasteless gas. It’s made by insufficient fuel combustion usually caused by a lack of oxygen. In your house, appliances that rely on natural gas, charcoal, wood or kerosene are susceptible. Especially if they are not operating correctly or have been installed incorrectly.

Vehicle exhaust fumes from nearby garages, as well as fireplaces that aren’t working right can also create carbon monoxide. CO is poisonous to the body and is lethal at heightened levels or with extended exposure.