One of the most routine concerns that we hear about at San Antonio Air Service Experts in San Antonio is dusty air filters. They might seem like a very insignificant piece of the big home comfort puzzle, but the role they play in helping us maintain comfort is a lot larger than most homeowners realize. Regardless if it is cooling season or heating season, having a clogged air filter can cause a number of concerns for your heating and AC system.
So what exactly happens when you neglect to swap out your air filter? Here are a just a few of the side effects you could encounter:
- Diminished airflow. This is easily the biggest headache you’ll recognize when your home’s air filter is severely clogged. The longer the air filter goes without being changed, the more dirt, dust and other particles build up. Of course, this inhibits air from passing through the filter as it should, meaning your system is working significantly harder to provide you with the same amount of air.
- Frozen coil. If your system is operating harder as a result of a filthy air filter, you also run the risk of having the cooling coil freeze inside of the system, because it’s operating overtime to provide you with cool air.
- Total loss of cooling or heating. This is also a threat if your air filter goes unattended for months and months on end. In essence, you will have worked your system so hard that something breaks or wears out and needs to be replaced or serviced.
- Short cycling. Short cycling means the heating and cooling system turns on and off more than it should. When your system short cycles, it may overheat or break down from the added work, which could end up causing damage to your system.
In addition to these, you can also expect:
- A diminished equipment lifecycle
- Lower energy efficiency
- Decreased air quality
- Greater dust and debris
- Lack of comfort
If you’re not sure when you last swapped out your air filter, it may be a good time to do so in order to get around any potential damage that might come with a filthy air filter. If you don’t know where your home’s air filter is located or you simply have a question about the variety of air filters available, give San Antonio Air Service Experts a call at or schedule an appointment online.