When rough weather comes our way, whether it’s forecasted or not, it can have a lot that comes with it. Staying safe and protecting your home are your highest priorities, but did you know there are things you can do to prep your air conditioner so that when the storm finishes, your AC repair technician will give you the thumbs up?
Taking even a small bit of time to think about your heating and cooling systems before the storm hits can help you prevent damage to your system when it’s all said and done. Then, when you schedule for an AC repair professional to check your system afterwards, they can probably provide you with good news that your steps were worth the time.
At San Antonio Air Service Experts, we recognize that there’s only so much prep work you can do to get ready for severe weather, and time likely will not give you much notification, so we’ve put together a few tips of what you can do before and after a severe weather event takes place.
- Turn off your heating and cooling equipment. Power surges are typical during severe weather, so be sure to turn off your system via your thermostat and your circuit breaker to ensure it is completely off.
- Cover the outdoor unit. Whether it’s a specific AC cover or simply a tarp, covering your system and securing the cover can keep away any debris that gets thrown around during threatening weather. Just ensure you have turned the system fully off prior to covering it with anything.
- Prep your yard. Make sure all loose outdoor items such as grills, patio furniture and any yard tools are kept in a safe place so that they don’t get tossed about during the bad weather.
- Clear the debris. Once it is safe to head outside, make sure any debris is cleared away from your outdoor unit.
- Damaged? If you see any damage to your system or if it is sitting in standing water, call San Antonio Air Service Experts prior to turning on your air conditioner. We can properly look at your system and figure out whether or not an AC repair is a necessity.
Of course we all hope that severe weather doesn’t hit us in San Antonio, but we have to be prepared if we want the best chance to dodge any major damage or other issues that can come with it. If you have any questions about how to best get ready for severe weather in San Antonio or want to know what our AC repair service consists of after the storm has come and gone, give us a call at 210-570-9705 or schedule an appointment with San Antonio Air Service Experts through our online scheduler.