Your air conditioner’s purpose is keeping the air inside your home nice and cool, which means that any time you allow heat back in your home, you’re making the air conditioner work harder than need be. While the air conditioner is your go-to for cooler air, there are a number of things you can do, on top of air conditioner service, to help keep the San Antonio heat out and help your air conditioner last through the rest of the summer.
Here are a few tips from San Antonio Air Service Experts to help keep hot air outside:
- Block out the sun. A lot of heat makes its way into your home through your windows. Keep it out by using solar screens, tinted windows and blackout curtains. At minimum, buy blinds and keep them closed.
- Seal air leaks. The rooms in your home that are air conditioned should be as air-tight as possible. Take a look in your crawlspace, basement or attic for major air holes like these in the building envelope. We can do a complete comfort performance assessment for you to uncover leaks in walls, ceilings and ducts.
- Check for leaky doors and windows. Look at your windows and doors and add or replace caulk or weather-stripping that looks to be torn or showing signs of wear.
- Try no-cook or served-cold meals. Your stove and oven create a lot of heat in your home. Try some no-cook meals and use your microwave instead of your stove or oven.
- Run the dishwasher and dryer at night. Save any household activities that may produce heat for evenings after the temperature outside goes down. You can also let your dishes and clothes air dry and give those appliances the night off.
- Provide window coverage outside the home. Awnings over windows and doors can help block the sun’s direct heat. Trees can also give you shade and deflect some of the heat.
- Get a free air conditioner consultation. The biggest impact on heat is a new air conditioning system evaluation. After hearing about new air conditioner systems, technology and options, the best option might simply be an air conditioner upgrade.
If you don’t feel like your home is maintaining cool temperatures despite following the tips we noted, it might mean that you need air conditioner service or repair. Air conditioner maintenance is one of the best ways to make sure your equipment is operating as it should be and that you are getting peak efficiency and results. Don’t stay uncomfortable longer than need be. Give San Antonio Air Service Experts in San Antonio or set up an appointment online to have an expert check out your air conditioner and make sure it’s running as it should be.