Whether you add a sunroom, family room or other addition to your home, being comfortable in your new space throughout the year is a priority. However, they can create a unique situation for contentment. This is due to the fact adding ductwork is pricey. And that your heating and cooling system may not be deal with the higher load, since it was sized without including the addition.
One of the most cost-effective possibilities is to get a mini-split. This system offers energy-efficient heating and cooling, with no ductwork needed. Find out more about mini-splits and how adding one to your addition can be a great option.
All About Mini-Splits and How They Work
A ductless mini-split, as they’re very similar to ducted heat pumps that have been used in southern climates for decades.
Heat pumps are extremely energy efficient because they move heat to make your room more comfortable. In actuality, many have reached ENERGY STAR® certification, which can make you eligible for added rebates and lower your utility bills for years to come.
Another special feature includes zoned heating and cooling. As each room often has an individual indoor unit, you can choose your preferred temperature from room to room. As an example, a mini-split AC is extremely helpful if you have a area with specific temperature needs, like a home gym.
Why a Mini-Split is Worth It for Your Room
Getting a mini-split system is worth it for rooms that are without ductwork. Here are several reasons why it’s smarter than installing ductwork and using your present heating and cooling system.
- Installing ductwork is costly. Adding ductwork in your new addition can add up quickly. Although the precise figure will depend on your home, it could be thousands of dollars.
- Your existing home comfort system might become stressed. When your existing heating and cooling system was installed, it was based on the square footage of your house prior to the addition. This may stress your system and make it wear out faster.
- Your comfort may be affected. As your heating and cooling system is sized for specific square footage, your comfort might be reduced if your system is required to cover a larger area. Your heating and cooling might be less powerful, and your energy bills may go up due to the system needing to switch on more frequently.
What Size Mini-Split You Should Get
Like more common systems, mini-splits are available in several sizes based on the square footage they’ll be heating and cooling. Here are three of the most popular sizes:
- 400-650 square feet – 12,000 BTU mini-split
- 600-1,000 square feet – 18,000 BTU mini-split
- 800-1,300 square feet – 24,000 BTU mini-split
When you work with our Experts at , we’ll help you get the proper size for your new area. And your wallet.
An ENERGY STAR mini-split unit can result in huge energy savings over its life span, which can be 20 years or greater when adequately serviced. ENERGY STAR says installing one can save you 60% on heating and 30% on cooling, in comparison with an electric heating system and conventional air conditioner.
Trust for Your Mini-Split Installation
From taking care of all your questions and helping you select the recommended model to delivering Expert mini-split installation, can take care of all your mini-split needs. If you’re considering a home addition or recently completed one, we can help. Give us a call at today to request a free consultation and estimate.