How Routine Air Conditioning Service Can Reduce AC Repair Costs
Air conditioning is crucial for countless homes during the sweaty summer months in San Antonio. However, the operating costs associated with running an AC are substantial. Find out how regular air conditioning service can decrease AC repair costs, and learn energy-saving habits to help your unit run more efficiently. With these tips, you’ll be able to appreciate a comfortable home this summer without spending a lot.
What Routine AC Service Involves
Air conditioning maintenance is an affordable, predictable annual expense that pays you back by shrinking repair costs and increasing your unit’s life span. Here are some significant maintenance steps that help protect against air conditioner breakdowns:
- Replace the air filter: A dirty filter obstructs airflow and forces your air conditioner to work harder, burning more energy and increasing the risk of overheating. Changing your air conditioner's dirty air filter with a clean one as part of your regularly scheduled maintenance appointment, and every 30 to 90 days throughout the year, encourages ideal airflow and efficiency.
- Clean the evaporator coil: The interior evaporator coil accumulates dirt and dust with time, decreasing its ability to absorb heat. This can cause the refrigerant in the coil to freeze, stopping your air conditioner from working properly. Cleaning the coil takes out this insulating layer and will help the refrigerant to do its job.
- Clean the condenser coil: The outdoor condenser coil lets out heat soaked up by the refrigerant. If it’s caked in cobwebs, grass clippings and other debris, the heat transfer process is diminished. Cleaning the condenser coil boosts the unit’s function substantially, reducing wear and tear on your air conditioner that could bring on breakdowns.
- Straighten the coils’ fins: The aluminum fins on the evaporator and condenser coils can become bent, restricting airflow and decreasing performance. Fixing the fins with a fin comb puts51 them to their original position to regain correct airflow.
- Lubricate moving parts: Friction in the motor and other moving elements produces heat and causes unnecessary wear and tear. Consistent lubrication diminishes friction, ensuring smooth operation and decreasing the need for repairs.
- Examine refrigerant levels: A low refrigerant charge is another explanation for why your AC can freeze up, producing longer run times, comfort problems and avoidable AC repairs. A skilled Expert uses special tools to check and adjust refrigerant levels as needed to verify proper operation and prevent a mid-season breakdown.
Other Ways to Reduce AC Repair Costs
Yearly maintenance is a key factor in reducing AC repair costs, but here are some other ideas to help your air conditioning unit operate reliably all summer long:
- Turn the temperature up: Increasing the thermostat setting reduces the wear and tear on your AC. Choose a comfortable temperature and avoid setting the thermostat any lower.
- Buy a programmable thermostat: When set correctly, a programmable thermostat helps regulate your home’s temperature more effectively, reducing the stress on your AC unit. It's a good idea to set setback periods of 7 to 10 degrees while you’re away or sleeping to save yourself on energy costs and further diminish wear and tear.
- Seal air leaks: Gaps and cracks near windows and doors allow warm, humid air into your home. Try using caulk and weatherstripping to avoid overworking your air conditioner.
- Put in additional insulation: An appropriate attic insulation level helps create stable indoor temperatures and lessens your AC’s workload. If you can observe the attic floor or joists poking through the current insulation, add more.
- Prevent solar heat gain: The sun’s heat warms your home, increasing cooling demand. Getting window coverings and closing the blinds or shades during the hottest times of the day blocks solar heat gain and lowers the chance of a mid-season breakdown.
- Run ceiling fans: The wind chill effect provided by ceiling fans makes a room feel about 4 degrees cooler, which enables you to raise the thermostat setting without sacrificing comfort. Don’t forget to switch the fan off when you leave the room, as fans cool people, not spaces.
- Use a dehumidifier: For those who are located in a humid part of the country, increased humidity levels can make your home feel cool but clammy, motivating you to lower the temperature. A whole-house dehumidifier eliminates unwanted moisture, giving your air conditioner a much-needed break.
- Clean your vents123: Closed or covered air vents throw off the balance of return and supply air, which might cause your air conditioning to break down. To avoid this, keep at least 80 percent of your registers open, and make sure no furniture, curtains or rugs accidentally hinder airflow. Improve circulation further by making sure doors between rooms are open as much as possible.
- Upgrade to an energy-efficient air conditioner: If your air conditioning system is more than 10 years old, consider upgrading to a more energy-efficient design. In addition to enhanced efficiency, a new system is also much less likely to break down or experience maintenance issues than an older unit, lowering your repair bills in the long run.
Schedule Air Conditioning Repair in San Antonio
By investing in routine air conditioning maintenance and implementing other recommended home-cooling habits, you’ll enjoy a comfortable interior with decreased repair costs this summer. San Antonio Air Service Experts offers top-notch AC tune-ups to boost efficiency and extend your air conditioner’s life span. We can also upgrade your AC unit if yours is starting to have problems.