Winter months in San Antonio are near. In fact, the months of October through February have a record of carbon monoxide safety concerns with 68 percent of carbon monoxide related deaths caused by home appliances occurring throughout those months. To understand the safety of your home, arrange an annual furnace service now, before the middle of winter arrives.
According to a new survey from Service Experts Heating and Air Conditioning, 94 percent of homeowners know that their furnace could release deadly carbon monoxide gas, but more than half don't do anything to prevent it from taking place.
“Carbon monoxide is a colorless odorless gas that can be very harmful,” says Dr. Lance Broy. “Initial symptoms can be confused for the flu – you can have nausea and fatigue but actually can progress and cause organ damage or even death.”
Any appliance in your home that uses fuels like gas, oil, or wood – such as furnaces, water heaters, fireplaces or clothes dryers – has the opportunity to discharge carbon monoxide if the system is not running as it should be or if it wasn’t installed the right way.
Your annual furnace service company can help uncover any possible problems. When you have furnace service completed, your technician should:
- Make sure that your furnace isn’t emitting carbon monoxide
- Search for any other out-of-place things that might compromise your safety
- Help you uncover any additional areas where you may want to end up adding a carbon monoxide detector
- Tune-up your system so that you know your equipment is running at its best efficiency, helping offer peace-of-mind that you’re in a good spot to potentially save money this winter
It’s important to keep in mind that many furnace manufacturers may require annual furnace service to keep your system under their warranty. That’s where the experts at San Antonio Air Service Experts can help. We’re here to help you have not only a comfortable home, but more importantly, a safe one. Give us a call at 210-570-9705 or set up an appointment with us online to learn more about carbon monoxide safety as we head in to the colder months.